Sunday, May 6, 2012

Money vs. Love

I have been thinking a lot lately about the huge gap between the wealthy of this world and all the millions and millions of people who live below the poverty level. I have been trying to justify the rationality of people going out and spending millions of dollars on a home, when there are so many who are either on the verge of losing their house or are homeless. How grown men can be paid millions of dollars every year to play a child's game, while there are others who work extremely laboring jobs for minimum wage, just to try and support their families. These restaurants that would rather throw away perfectly good food at he end of the night, instead of giving it away to hungry people, just because they fear being sued. I search the history books to find the one moment in time, when wealth become far more important then our fellow human beings. When the love of possessions over came the love we should have for our neighbor. How have we come to such a lowly state in history?

What makes us believe that we deserve so much, while others have so little? I wonder if a little of it has to do with the television programs that infect so many people's minds. They sit around and watch these mindless shows, people exploiting and making fools of themselves for fame and fortune. I think about how the people who watch these shows live vicariously through these "reality" show stars. Dreaming of living a life like what they see on T.V. All the time disrespecting the life they have, not feeling any kind of gratitude for their own good fortunes. There are far to many people in the world who snub their nose at contentment, while wanting so much more then they need. It has been said that you will never get rich, counting someone else's money. So why are so many fascinated over the lives of those they feel are better of then themselves? Do they really think that money buys happiness? Or that if they could have anything they desired, life would be that much better? Attachment breeds jealousy and jealousy causes suffering. The more money and material possession a person has, the more they have to worry about losing it all. Now I am not saying I wouldn't like to hit the lottery some day, I would be lying if I did, but I know that if I ever was given that kind of money, I would feel compelled to do as much good with it as possible. I have not only become content with who I am and what I have, I have become much more. I am Happier now then I have ever been in my whole life, and I am not making anywhere near the money I used to make. I have just found the joy in life, that is there for each and every one of us to find.

So in closing I would just like to say, I am not condemning anyone for having nice things. We all work hard for our money and deserve to have some of the comforts in life. All I am saying is, take some time and go through the lists of the things you need to live and the things you want in life. I think you will be surprised how different those two lists are. There is a middle path that we all should travel, it separates having an excess of material possessions and having nothing at all. Can you travel that path? I think you can. Love your life and it will Love you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment