Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What does "friend" mean to you?

So I got to thinking about the word friend today.Webster's dictionary defines it as: a person with whom one enjoys mutual affection.As for me I would like to think it means a lot more then that. I am very careful about who I call "friend," I think a lot of people tend to use the word to frequently. In my eyes you have to be a special person to be a real friend. A real friend is someone that is there for you no matter what. They are there, when something good happens in your life, to help you celebrate. They are there to help hold things together when it feels like your world is falling apart. You find out who your friends are when your car breaks down in the middle of the night or when it's time to move. But a real friend is even more then that.


To a real friend your happiness is just as important to them as their own. They wish just as many good things for you as they do for themselves. Always there if you need a shoulder to cry on or just to listen to you when you have a problem. They care enough about you to tell you the truth even if it's not what you want to hear. A "real" friend never says to themselves "what's in it for me" or "why do they always bother me when they have a problem," because a true friend wants you to call them when you need them. They are the ones that are walking in when the rest of the world is walking out. Never turning their backs on you. And the only time they would ever get in your way is when you are falling.


Anyone who has a "friend" like the one I just described is truly blessed. But not everyone can have a friend like this, for you see to have a friend like this you have to be a friend like this. Friendship is not a one way street, to have a strong and lasting friendship you both have to do your part to make it work. Just remember "Friends" are the family we get to choose, so choose wisely. Surround yourself with people who you know would never hurt you and always be there for you, and as long as you feel the same way about them your lives together will be filled with love and happiness. I really look forward to making a lifetime of memories with the people I call "FRIEND." Love your life and it will love you back!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have explained this better myself. And your examples are my stories - car breaking down and moving - friends are very hard to come by. People do misuse this word often and some still don't know the meaning. But sometimes real friends are 1 sided, when you feel as if you can't help that person in return, even though you'd like to.

    ReplyDelete